Saturday, July 23

My long weightloss journey

I was not a fat kid - I was always the shortest and looking back I was tiny.
In high school my weight was around 55kilo's which isn't big, although I always thought I had big thighs/butt.
When I was nineteen I started working nightshift for Australia Post. My eating was all over the place - I used to have dinner on the way to work, usually a drive through, then at midnight had supper at the canteen (full of fat) and munched on choc and coffee with lots of milk and sugar at night to keep awake. I used to go to bed as soon as I came home ( so no breakie) and just pick when I woke in the afternoons. I hardly cooked at all!
-around this time I was well into the 70's
I fell pregnant with Jason when I was 21 - and did not improve with my eating. I worked up until a few weeks before the birth where I was weighing late 80's.
I took a year off after having Jason - being at home, less money I comfort ate myself up to 95 kilo's!
I went back to work part time when Jason was one - was not eating full meals as I was working at the GPO which did not have a canteen (which helped...lol)
I fell pregnant with Luke not long after - my 1st checkup weight was 88 kilo's. We had moved up here by then. It was 1 1/2 hours drive at night for work, and I ended up leaving as Vic didn't want me going that far whilst being pregnant! ( He actually drove me to work when I was preg with Jason)
Luke's pregnancy went well, I actually lost weight! my checkup book shows only a difference in a few hundred grams. That was because I was eating better - and we have stairs in this house- so was doing some exercise!
When Luke was a few weeks old I found out I had gallstones - when I first got the pain I thought I was in labor again... I told Vic that they must have left a baby in...lol
The pains got so bad that every 2nd day I was given pethadine shots, I could not have anything with oil or dairy. For two months I lived on vegies and dry biscuits, consenquently I got down to the low 70's. One I had the operation, I could eat anything I want - so I did!
Now forward a few years...
Two weeks before Lukes 3rd birthday I hurt my back- I didn't think to much of it, but by the morning I could not move without very intense pain ( which I felt was worse than labor) down my left side. I was taken to hospital by ambulance. I had back spasms and had to stay in hospital flat on my back for a week - then the second week had to use a walking frame. I came home the day before lukes birthday. It took about two weeks to not be moving stiffly again.
I weighed myself in hospital and was very shocked to read 98 kilo's!!
My doctor was telling me I had to lose weight, and I did not want to get to 100kilo's, so I was shocked into action! - around this time I did ww at home!
I started walking - doc's advice and found my back felt better for it!
In the next couple of months I had got down to 85 kilo's - just by eating better and walking!
I was going ok - but was relaxing a bit as I was not accountable to anyone.
My mum had started going to the town club a few months before, when I got up to 88 I started going with her.
Last october I got down to 75 kilo's which I was really happy about.
My Nan died in Oct, my eating was good, then was my 30th and after all the stress, I just ate whatever - and could not get back on track. I got up to 86 the other week!

Now I have started anew - and am doing well. I have lost 2.3 in 2 weeks so hopefully it will be downwards from here:)

5 comments:

Suzy said...

Yes I am sure that now you are over all those hurdles you will continue to do well with your weight loss. Traumas in our life certainly don't help. You are doing really well now though.

Mary said...

I really appreciate you posting this. Thank you for sharing! What a couple of tough years but you made and through and look at you now. You are doing well so keep it up! I agree that by simply changing your eating and walking, makes all the difference :-)

Margaret said...

It is really interesting to read about people. Thank you so much for posting this. It shows that even though you have been through some tough times it is never too late to kick yourself into gear.

You have done so well in the last couple of weeks. You sound more focussed, you are moving more. It is just so good. I hope you have a brilliant weekend Leighanne. :)

Kate said...

Cool to hear your story - you certainly have been through a lot! You are doing really well!

Me said...

Thanks for sharing your past with us - isn't it amazing how many times you read about someone who thought they were fat but when they look back now they realise that they actually weren't !!! Is it that the mirrors have changed or is it just our perception which is different. Good luck this time around - take care and be good to yourself !
Me